Rules of the Mississippi Board of Animal Health

Rules Page   /  Chapter:  01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21


Ch. 11 - Exotic Livestock


100.01 Exotic Livestock- includes all exotic hooved or cloven-footed animals, to include all non-native cervids, exotic ruminants, non-domestic camelids, non-domestic swine, raised or maintained in captivity for the production of meat and other products, for sport, or for exhibition.


100.02 Exotic Livestock Facility - is a premise where one or more exotic livestock are kept or reared for any purpose, or two or more premises under common ownership or supervision


Source: Miss. Code Ann . §69-15-3.


101 Regulations.

An Exotic Livestock Facility Permit shall be required by any person or entity owning exotic livestock. Applications for an Exotic Livestock Facility Permit shall be provided by the Board of Animal Health. Only fully completed applications will be considered. After application for a permit has been made, an inspection of the premise will be made. A permit shall be issued when the conditions for application for a permit have been met. This permit shall expire 12 months from date of issuance. Movement of all exotic livestock within the state shall require a permit prior to movement. Escapes of all exotic livestock must be reported to the State Veterinarian within 24 hours of discovery of such escape.


Source: Miss. Code Ann . §69-15-3.

102Any person owning a wildebeest residing within the State of Mississippi must register such animal with the Board of Animal Health.  No wildebeest may be moved within the State of Mississippi without a permit from the State Veterinarian.  The owner of any wildebeest residing within this State may not allow his animal to have nose-to-nose contact with any cattle or bison.

(ADOPTED 2008.)

Source: Miss. Code Ann . §69-15-3.